Wednesday, February 29, 2012


MAYBELL!!!




 This is a 1920's/30's style O Maybell with slotted headstock, birch body and pearloid neck.  And what a beauty she is.  My friend James Ralston did the necessary work to get her back into tip top shape.  Neck was reset, new compensated saddle was installed, and it was given a nice fret dressing.  James has worked on a ton of these Maybells and says that this is the cleanest example that he has ever seen!  I would have to agree.  This guitar is an amazing find and at 80-90 years old looks unplayed and brand new.  Now normally I like my guitars to have a little wear or "patina" if you will.  A bit of honest wear just shows that she has been played, loved by someone and has a bit of history behind it and a story or two to tell.  With that said it is nice every now and then to find such a clean example.  Clean or not I always wonder about the history of these old guitars and have often thought how wonderful it would be if an index card was provided with the guitar.  Each owner would have to jot a few words about the instruments history before passing it on to the next owner. 

These little parlor guitars have taught me some big lessons about style of play.  I am used to banging out rhythm on a big old dreadnaught with medium gauge strings.  I treat those dreadnaughts pretty hard and they respond fine to the treatment.  These parlors are a whole different animal and it took me a while to first get used to it and then to embrace the need for a style of play change.  The phrase "treat her like a lady" comes to mind.  They must be dealt with a little more reserve.  Lighter strings, lighter touch, very pretty sound.

One last thought regarding a little guitar minutiae.  If you are looking into buying one of these, try to make sure the bridge pins are original as they are really nice.  They resemble the pins used in some 30's era Gibsons.  I had a luthier once say the pins were nicer than the guitar.  He meant it in a nice way not trying to put the guitar down but rather trying to explain how good the pins were.

2 comments:

  1. That may bell is really sweet. how much would you pay for one of those? I saw one recently in my area. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete