Tuesday, November 25, 2014

1960's Kay Vanguard Electric Guitar

Here is another funky old guitar that was on its way to the auction block.  Now I'm not so sure as prior to listing it I spent some considerable time playing it and was having a great time doing so.  We'll see what happens.  My initial thought was that I have a few Kays with this zippo pickup and figured the sound would be redundant, but i was wrong.  This guitar has a nasty, garage rock tone(that is kind of what these cheaper old kays seem to do).  It seems to bite more and the pickup seems hotter.  It is a super lightweight guitar as the body is only like an inch thick and it is very easy and fun to play.  You see these for sale everyday on ebay, so they are far from rare.  I recently saw Guitarist/Producer John Levanthal playing one of these with a Ry Cooder setup.  He had added a gold foil pickup above the zippo pickup and may have had another below(couldn't get a good look at it).  Nonetheless, it sounded pretty cool..



3 comments:

  1. I'm looking for one but some guys try to sell them above book value not cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for one but some guys try to sell them above book value not cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat is right. I've got four of these so I watch them. eBay prices have gone from $150-$250 range to $400-$500 in the past three months. They're not selling though so prices should come back down before long.

    ReplyDelete