Sunday, August 27, 2023

1977 Greco EG700 Les Paul Copy

 

This guitar plays great, sounds great, and looks great.  Yet, I still find myself trying to make friends with it.  The only problem with this guitar is the neck is not quite substantial enough for me.  The nut is wide enough, but thickness (especially near the nut) is lacking a bit for my taste.  But isn't that the great thing about guitars, I know some people who love these slim tapered necks.  I am far from being a great electric player, but the neck on a guitar is important to me.  I love a beefy neck!  I think this is because I have spent so much of my life with acoustic guitars.  All of which have had thicker necks than most electrics I have played.  Plugging an electric guitar in at a music store is not even necessary for me.  I can tell if it's for me by simply sitting down and feeling its acoustic resonance as well as feeling like the neck has that chunkiness I enjoy.

Nonetheless, this guitar is a keeper because it sounds great.  You can get a lot of different tones out of it.  I believe these Grecos are a great bang for the buck.  There are models out there with thicker necks.  The Les Paul is the ultimate rock and roll guitar, but the pricing prohibits someone like me from owning an actual Gibson.  Even the current models are ridiculously priced.  If you are looking for a much cheaper option that still has a vintage vibe, I would recommend these lawsuit era Grecos.  That era is generally defined as being around 1980-1981 as you can see from this posts title, this guitar pre-dates that by a couple years.  I would like to get my hands on one of those 80's instruments to see if it feels any different.  If you like a light instrument, this may not be your thing, it has some heft to it.  Otherwise, it's all there.  Good sounding pickups, intonatable bridge, stop tailpiece, set neck, and good tuners.  Quite a nice copy.


The first two numbers of the serial number on these Grecos indicate the year it was made.




Greco(as well as most of the Japanese makers) all made models that have bolt on necks.  They don't have the same feel to me as these set necks.









No comments:

Post a Comment