Monday, November 19, 2012

1960's Truetone Electric Archtop

1960's Truetone

Here is a 1960's Truetone electric archtop guitar.  Truetone was the name of the electronics division of Western Auto Supply.  Kay produced these guitars under the Truetone name for Western Auto the same way they would produce instruments under the Silvertone name for Sears or under the Old Kraftsman name for Spiegel. 

I had been looking for one of these for a long time.  All of the ones I had seen were in need of some sort of repair that would push the cost of the instrument way beyond its value.  Patience paid off and this guitar came to me just as it was described, in excellent condition.  The neck had been reset(though you can see the work done-it's a pretty good job) and the electronics work great.  The action is nice with room left to move on the adjustable floating bridge.  The guitar is all original including the pickguard which is often missing on these guitars.  I was searching for something I was going to have to fix on this guitar, but could find nothing. 


I love the sound of this guitar and the "pancake" pickup.  I also love the simplicity of the setup - one pickup, one volume, and one tone knob.  Wonderfully clean with the volume cranked down and nasty with the volume turned all the way up.  This guitar is a blast to play and is getting a lot of use right now.  A fantastic guitar built for Thoreau as he cries,  "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity".

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I have one of these also and didn't realize it was as old as it is. I love mine too, but unfortunately the heel of the neck has come unglued a bit as well as the fingerboard. I've never done such repairs but may have to learn how--I loved the sound and feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first guitar! Dad bought it for my 10th birthday. After seeing the Rolling Stones on Ed Sullivan, he told me if that was the kind of trash I wanted to learn how to play, we'd take it back to the store! I knew how to answer..."Oh no Sir! Not me! Why would I wanna learn that kinda stuff?" So, after bout 12 yrs of cutting my teeth on that guitar (and a couple others), learning rock & roll when he wasn't looking, regretfully, I sold it to a buddy & would love to have it back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, how right you are,Dreaded not having the True tone N2 today, I can remember back in 1963 My Grandfather was living in Norfolk,Va. we from Washington DC,we would visit him,I was about,5years old he would bring it out with the True tone Amp with ,6" speaker to play, thumb picks and all playing ragtime, Man, How Great it sounded , My Nefew ended up with it, for years,he wasn't interested in playing,so in 1970,I ended up with it playing music from the Meters to Hendrix, until one night in 1973 playing at a high school talent show I was rocking out with feedback and all I had crowd, cheering,I swung the Guitar like Jimi" and destroyed it" we won the Trophy " to this day I wish I had had it" my Nefew still has the Amp " Such a Great Axe "

    ReplyDelete